I like adventure. Camping? It depends. As long as there are clean bathrooms and shower facilities, then YES! That’s why camping at Fort Wilderness Resort & Campground is the best! Clean bathrooms, clean showers, clean sites, mosquito control, beautiful grounds, and, well, it’s Disney!
At our latest camping trip at Fort Wilderness, we had just one complaint. Humidity. But that’s not Disney’s fault. Our time at the campground was fun and even with some rain, we enjoyed ourselves.
There are plenty of things to do while staying at the campground. During check-in, you will receive a recreation calendar which lists all free activities and paid experiences. There is something to do for everyone and every budget.
Transportation is convenient and there are bus stops relatively close to every site. Buses will take you to different destinations around the campground and the bus drivers are very helpful in making sure you are taking the right bus.
The main reason for this post is to share a list of things to pack for those who are new to camping. I’ve had many people ask about this and it never occurred to me that so many are new to this type of vacation. I hope this list is useful and I’d love to hear how your magical camping experience went!
What to pack? (This is a basic list for those taking advantage of Disney restaurants like we do!)
- Tarp (big enough to go under the tent. Keeps bottom of tent clean)
- Camping/Beach Chairs
- Welcome Mat (helps keep dirt from inside the tent)
- Christmas lights (perfect for light and finding your site at night)
- Rope/Clothes pins (for wet items)
- Broom and Dust Pan (you must sweep your tent before putting it away)
- Swim towels
- Bath towels
- Toiletry bag/Caddy (we keep our toiletries handy and separate so girls and boys have their own)
- Extension Cord(s)
- Power Strip
- Air Mattresses/Cots
- Air Pump
- Shower Flip Flops (showers are clean, but I am not brave enough to go barefoot)
- Flashlight (or use your phone!)
- Lantern (great for inside tent use)
- Fan (especially during hot months)
- Bug Repellant
You can also bring:
- Sidewalk Chalk
- Board Games
(There is a picnic table at each site, which is great for eating and playing games. We don’t eat at the site, but there is a grill, so you can bring charcoal, foil, and charcoal fluid to cook. In this case, make sure you bring cooking utensils and disposable eating utensils.)
Our 11-year-old’s perspective from this trip:
- Favorite Thing: Walking to bus stops and walking around the grounds.
- Least Favorite Thing: Heat (Septemeber humidity’s fault)
- Why Camp Again? Fun experience and sleeping in the tent
- One Thing You Wish You Had: Bike
- On a scale from 1 to 10 (10 being the best), how do you rate this experience?: 8 (because of heat)
- Advice to you from an 11-year-old: Use the restroom right before going to bed (I agree)
If you have specific questions about our Fort Wilderness experience, please feel free to email or private message us and we will be more than happy to answer!
Getting ready to plan your next trip or just interested in travel news?
Please remember to contact Destinations with Character Travel for ALL of your Disney, Universal, SeaWorld, and Orlando Area Vacations, Adventures by Disney, Cruising, Tour, and exciting vacation packages all over the world. When booking though Destinations with Character Travel, all of our Disney Services, including FastPass+ and Dining reservation services are completely FREE. Also, you will always have a DEDICATED agent, available to you 24/7 from the very first minute of planning, right up until the day you return home, to answer all of your questions and handle any of your vacation needs.
We believe no one should be denied a vacation based on needs or budget, there’s something for everyone.
By allowing us to engineer your next family trip, you benefit from our expertise.
We are Steve and Samara! Former Walt Disney World cast members with a wealth of knowledge and the skills to act as your personal travel guide!
Let us save you the time and hassle of doing it yourself. We will work hard so you can experience the most memorable vacation!
Feel free to check out our site then go ahead and contact us to start planning now!
We can’t wait to get you started!
Latest posts by Samara & Steve Loschiavo (see all)
- Disney’s All Star Sports Resort: A Pleasant Surprise - October 30, 2017
- To Dining Plan or Not to Dining Plan? THAT is the Question! - October 25, 2017
- Camping at Disney’s Fort Wilderness Resort & Campground for Beginners - October 21, 2017