Our chefs at Aulani, a Disney Resort & Spa, in Hawai‘i are always creating delicious island-inspired dishes. Always a menu favorite, poke, which means “cut piece” or “small piece” in Hawaiian, is the perfect seafood starter to share.
To bring a bit of the Hawaiian Islands into your kitchen, check out the fun video and full recipe below for Tuna Poke with Avocado Mousse!
Tuna Poke with Avocado Mousse
Serves 6 as an appetizer
- 1 cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated ginger
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons yuzu juice
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 tablespoon finely minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds, plus additional for garnish
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon wasabi powder
- 1/8 teaspoon sugar
- 2 pounds fresh sushi-grade tuna, cubed
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 2 ripe avocados, peeled and seeded
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- Lime juice
- Salt, to taste
- White pepper, to taste
- Rice chips
FOR TUNA POKE:
1. Whisk together soy sauce, ginger, sesame oil, yuzu juice, lime juice, garlic, sesame seeds, vinegar, wasabi powder, and sugar in a large bowl.
2. Add tuna to mixture and toss to coat. Season with pepper, to taste. Refrigerate 5 to 10 minutes.
FOR AVOCADO MOUSSE:
1. Chop avocados into large pieces and place in a blender. Add heavy cream and blend until smooth.
2. Season with lime juice, salt, and white pepper, to taste.
1. Place avocado mousse in a piping bag. Pipe 3 parallel lines of avocado mousse in the center of each plate.
2. Divide tuna poke evenly among six 2.5-inch square molds. Place on top of the avocado mousse.
3. Serve with rice chips.
Cook’s Note: Poke (pronounced POH-kay) means “cut piece” or “small piece” in Hawaiian. Be sure to use sushi-grade tuna because the fish is raw. Yuzu is a sour Japanese citrus fruit, and you can purchase in some supermarkets and in Asian grocery stores. If you can’t find it, substitute 1 tablespoon lime juice and 1 tablespoon orange juice.
-From the Disney Parks Blog, May 31, 2017 by Michael Ramirez
Getting ready to plan your next trip or just interested in travel news?
Please remember to contact Destinations with Character Travel for ALL of your Disney, Universal, SeaWorld, and Orlando Area Vacations, Adventures by Disney, Cruising, Tour, and exciting vacation packages all over the world. When booking though Destinations with Character Travel, all of our Disney Services, including FastPass+ and Dining reservation services are completely FREE. Also, you will always have a DEDICATED agent, available to you 24/7 from the very first minute of planning, right up until the day you return home, to answer all of your questions and handle any of your vacation needs.
We believe no one should be denied a vacation based on needs or budget, there’s something for everyone.
Along with their Trained & Certified Family of Agents, they are in the business of “Making Dream Vacations Come True”.
With clients ranging from Hollywood Magic Makers to New York Business Executives, to Families all over the Midwest, people trust the Travel Consultants of Destinations with Character Travel Agency to plan their Magical Vacations every day, with the patience, care, and attention to detail, they want and deserve.
At Destinations with Character Travel, Quality, Service, and Customer Satisfaction are the Priority. They offer premiere travel services for clients interested in Disney Destinations, Cruises, Resort Vacations, Tours, and much more.
Contact them at:
Latest posts by Don Korta (see all)
- Disney Family of Wines Weekend at Walt Disney World Resort - March 22, 2019
- Get Revved Up for Even More ‘Cars’ Fun at Disney’s Hollywood Studios - March 21, 2019
- New Recruits to ‘Suit Up’ Alongside Spider-Man with Cutting-Edge Tech from the New Worldwide Engineering Brigade at Disneyland Resort - March 21, 2019